Dry Herb Vaporizers 101: What Should You Know Before Buying?
Dry Herb Vaporizers are devices that allow you to consume herbs by vaporizing the product instead of combusting it. This means that the air around the herbs is heated to a temperature where the active ingredients are then released into vapour, which can then be inhaled. Vaporizing is considered to be a favorable alternative to smoking as it produces better flavour and is less harsh on the throat.
Dry Herbs are best suited for people:
Beginning their journey with dry herbs
That have lung issues or medical conditions (GP Advised)
Looking for an alternative method to traditional combustion
Who want compact portability & low odour
When it comes to choosing a dry herb vaporizer, it’s important to find one that suits your needs. In this blog we will explore why people are making the switch to non-combustible dry herb devices and the pro's and con's of owning one.
The first thing to note is that not all vaporizers are created equal & they come in all shapes and sizes. Some are designed for portability, while others are designed for desktop use. There are also hybrid vaporizers that can be used for both dry herbs and wax concentrates.
At Super Vape Store we stock a range of different dry herb devices:
Davinci IQ 2, Davinci IQC, Black Mamba, Pax 3 Complete Kit and the Firefly 2+.
These are all great devices but they have their own respective abilities in performance and battery life. The most popular dry herb that we sell is the Davinci IQC. This specific device has removable batteries so you don't need to wait for the it to charge when it goes flat.
Simply swap out for a fresh battery and the device is good to go again. Where as the PAX 3 charges on a charging cradle and does not have removable batteries.
It is always best to check out a few videos of the device you are interested in and compare it to others on the market to make sure that the dry herb device you have chosen is right for your needs.
The two main types of Dry Herb Vapes are explained below & the difference between them is how they heat the herb..
Conduction vaporizers are the most common dry herb vaporizer on the market, they are like mini-ovens and heat the dry herbs through direct contact. They’re typically easier to use, more consistent, energy-efficient and less expensive than other types of heaters. These devices are not recommended for those who are looking for massive hits or drawn-out sessions. But they are recommended for their portability and are a great choice for light users engaging in intermittent sessions. It is also worth noting that conduction vapes will continue to heat the herbs in between hits which can affect the flavour that is produced over time.
- Heat Quickly
- More Affordable
- Low Maintenance
Convection vaporizers separate the heat source from the chamber and only heat the air and the herbs as they are inhaled. They’re much more efficient and produce the tastiest vapour on the market. They’re the go-to option for connoisseur-level experiences, but they’re very taxing on the battery (for portable options) and are more expensive.
- Low Risk Of Material Burning
- Low Odour
- Best For Flavour
Below we have listed some commonly asked questions and troubleshooting tips:
Won’t Turn On or Won’t Charge
- If the device has an external battery. Try changing the battery then charging it. Give it 30 minutes to charge and try turning it on. Make sure you are turning the device on correctly by following instructions listed in the manual.
- Test a different charging cord & try plugging into a PC USB port or external battery charger to see if the device screen turns on. If the device has an internal battery and does not charge or turn on, the battery is likely faulty.
- If you have recently downloaded a firmware update and it has stopped working, try downloading the previous software update and check to see if the device turns on afterwards.
Vapour Tastes Burnt Or Feels Restricted
- Try turning the device down to a lower heat setting. It may be set too high and instead of vaporising it may be burning the product.
- Clean out the chamber. It may be blocked and have no airflow which could be causing the restriction.
- There may be too much material packed into the chamber. Try not packing it so tight.
- The material isn't fine enough. Try grinding down more finely so that a sufficient amount of air can circulate to create a better vapour.
- The material has been depleted and the device needs to be cleaned and material needs to be replaced.
How Long Does Each Chamber Last?
With a dry herb vape, the material that is packed in it can last more than a single “session” on the device. The vast majority of devices will have 5-10min session time, but depending on your temperature selection, this single session may not use all of the material especially if you are ending the session early. You will know when the device needs to be reloaded because it will no longer give the desired effect, also the material will appear dry, discoloured and will seem almost tasteless.
Drawing On It Hard and Nothing Seems To Be Happening
Dry herb vapes are temperature based systems. When drawing on them it should be a slow controlled draw. The more air that is introduced into the system allows the chamber and product to be cooled down which reduces the vapour produced.
Check for overpacking of the device. It could be clogged or there may be a lack of circulation preventing vapour production.
Temperature Control Devices:
Pick The Temperature
Low-level vaping temperatures - 370°F/187°C and below
This temperature range produces the tastiest vapor and is perfect for chasing flavor rather than clouds. Hits are light and wispy, but full of flavor and will provide gentle, but noticeable effects. This is a safe zone to start if you’re not yet sure what you're looking for. You can always bump it up later.
Mid-level vaping temperatures - 370°F/187°C to 390°F/198°C
This temperature range is a nice happy medium. Hits are noticeably thicker, but still produce satisfying flavors that pack a punch. Perfect for those that want a little more ‘oomph’ from their hits, but also plenty of flavor.
High-level vaping temperatures - 390°F/198°C and above
This is where flavor starts to take a dive, but thick clouds come to play. Your first few hits will pack in some flavorful accents, but will quickly dissipate as the clouds ramp up. This is the best place to start if you want big clouds and strong effects from the get go.
Maintaining the cleanliness of the device will significantly increase the lifespan & functionality. This is recommended so that each experience is optimal and any issues that arise from neglect are minimized.
- Brush out the chamber after every use to prevent residue buildup and allow even heating on the next use.
- Clean the mouthpiece.
- Removable parts with heavy buildup can be cleaned with warm soapy water and cleaning alcohol. Ensure everything is dry before use.
- Check any filters are clean.
If we have gone through the steps above and the device is still playing up or you have any questions. Please contact our customer support line and we will do everything we can to resolve the problem.