Are you a vaping enthusiast but tired of spending money on e-juices? Well, we understand that ordering e-juices every now and then can burn a hole in your pocket, especially, if you are fond of premium brands.
Fortunately, you no more need to burn your pockets. Instead, you can quickly learn how to make e-juice at home. Pursue this as your hobby or as an obsession, but believe us, this will prove to be one of the most cost-effective ways to have a flawless vaping experience.
So, let’s get started and see how to DIY e-liquid flavouring at home!
Talking about the composition of a juice, it majorly consists of four ingredients as described below:
Propylene glycol is one of the most popular ingredients. It is FDA approved, colourless, and odourless and a non-viscous compound. PG binds itself to the flavour and carries it to the throat, thus providing you a stronger throat hit.
Vegetable glycerine is extracted from plants. Similar to PG, it is also colourless, odourless, and viscous with a sweet flavour. It is FDA approved and is suitable for people looking for a lighter throat hit during vaping.
VG produces a thicker vapor. As a small percentage of people can be allergic to propylene glycol, Max VG liquids are a great alternative.
The amount of flavour you should add to your e-juice depends on the desired strength, type of concentrate used and your personal taste. You can start by adding 5-10% of flavour to your e-juice. However, it varies from flavor to flavour and can be overpowering in some cases.
Be careful while using nicotine. High concentrated pure nicotine is very harmful and can cause acute sickness, permanent blindness and can even lead to death if it comes in direct contact with the skin.
Thus, it should be kept out of reach of your children and pets.
Decide the perfect nicotine strength for your e-juice. The recommended levels of nicotine are 0- 36 mg depending upon the strength you want. You can take the help of a DIY e-juice calculator while making the juice.
Measuring Equipment and Safety Supplies
Ensure that all the ingredients are mixed properly and in correct proportion. This is because your e-juice decides the throat hit and plays an important role in delivering a flawless vaping experience. Here are a few tools that you should get hold of for easy mixing and measuring:
If the ingredients require weight measurements, then the scales that go to 0.01 gm. will be the best to deal with.
If the ingredients are to be mixed according to volume, then syringes or pipettes would work well. Try to have 10 ml and 1 ml syringes for the measurements.
You can use funnels for transferring the liquids from one bottle to other. This will prevent any spillages.
Buy DIY vape bottles before you start the process. These squeezy bottles with nozzle tips can be used to store the ingredients of your e-juice safely. You can buy 30 ml bottles for your experiments.
Further, you should always store the nicotine liquid out of sunlight to delay its degradation process.
In order to stay safe, it is highly recommended to wear gloves while handling highly concentrated nicotine.
As already stated above, direct contact with nicotine can cause blindness. Thus, wear the safety goggles before starting with the process.
Wear an apron to protect your body from coming in contact with e-juice and its ingredients.
You can take help of an online e-liquid calculator in order to combine the right amount of ingredients.
Labels help you write the details of ingredients along with their concentration. You can get them easily in a stationery shop.
After gathering all the supplies and the ingredients, you just have to mix all the ingredients in a right proportion in a bottle. Do it in the following way:
- Calculate the volume of nicotine required for the e-juice so as to achieve the desired percentage. You can take the help of an e-juice calculator as stated. Generally, per 0.3ml of 100mg nicotine is recommended for each 1mg in a 30ml bottle of e-juice.
- Depending on your recipe, you can choose the PG/VG ratio. It is usually between 50/50 and 80/20 for most of the e-juice recipes.
- After measuring all the things, put them safely in a bottle and shake it so as to get an even consistency.
You can steep your e-juice by placing it for a while in a cool and dark place. This will oxidize the components of e-juice and will make them taste better. However, this step depends on your personal choices and preferences.
Tips for Making the E-Juice
- For reference, you can take help of several online recipes that will help you in making the e-juice. You can also try a chocolate or a milky flavored e-juice.
- It is highly recommended to go for flavorings especially made for vaping, instead of using the common food flavorings.
- If you are a beginner, take baby steps and make it in a small amount to avoid any oops moments.
- For a larger throat hit, add more propylene glycol. Alternatively, for lower throat hits and for dense vapor clouds, you should add more amount of VG.
- If you use sub-ohm vaping then use more amounts of VG as it is more viscous.
Lastly, take special care while handling nicotine especially if you are having kids and pets at home.
Making an e-juice at home is an exciting as well as the time-extensive process. However, at the end, it is all worth it. You get to customize your e-juice the way you want.
What are your views on this? Have you tried making e-juice at home? Do share your experiences with us in the comments.